Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the persistence of memory....

Oy, more snow.

I can't remember a winter like this around here (Long Island NY) where the snow just hangs around- it's been a month with snow on the ground. I lived upstate for a few years, where constant snow was a given , but not around here. Snow storm number 7 the radio has just informed me.

Let's see- I did a few loads of laundry, baked a bunch of stuff all afternoon, all the books and movies and cd's I put in alphabetical order last week, I'm now breaking them into genres(alphabetically , of course)

As I was reading the paper today (Daily News) I saw an article that the restaurant Gonzalez y Gonzalez is closing this weekend after 22 years. This was a favorite of mine nearly from the day it opened, good food, good prices, friendly service, Good location (Lower Broadway near Houston st.). In the evenings they had great bands as well. Close to the Angelika Cinemas and Film Forum, for years it was a lil' slice of heaven. I will confess that I haven't been there recently, but then again I haven't been anywhere recently (that's a whole other story)

They had a huge light up sombrero on the sign out front- if you watched the first season of the Real World NY, yeah like 20 years ago, they showed that sign quite often, it was a fun bit of kitsch.

Two of my fondest Manhattan memories are connected to that restaurant:

Mid December 1991 , I was Christmas shopping downtown, it's about 8 o'clock and there are lots of people out bustling- there was an outdoor flea market in the parking lot next to the Tower Record store down there. A light snow is falling and believe me there are few things as....lovely as the city when it snows. After shopping I need to warm up and I had about an hour to kill before the movie I was going to see started so I went to Gonzalez..... That crazy sign blinking away in the snow, sublime.


It's a random Monday night in spring, not a holiday just a day, a Mon.
The time is 11:45- post movie this time, and I'm sitting having a late dinner. I'm seated up front next to the window, the place is packed , a band is playing in the back room. I look out onto Broadway and the street is filled with people. Ah, New York.

Adios ,Gonzalez y Gonzalez. I'll see you in hell Muchacho.

No comments: