Sunday, April 10, 2016

Wanna start something?

We are living in the age of the "Gig Economy"

More and more people don't have "jobs" , they have "gigs" . They move from project to project.

How about that? I have been living a trendy life all these years. I am a hipster.

During the course of any given year I will direct a few shows, teach classes, coach auditions, write a play, perform (very rarely). Each project begins and then after a while ,ends. In between those two destinations, that's my favorite place to be.... Making the thing, putting it together, asking questions and finding answers.

I don't always have to lead, I'm happy being in the middle. I like leading from the middle. Years ago I saw a film called Chihuly In Venice, about a project that the artist Dale Chihuly put together. A series of blown glass sculptures that he installed in that eccentric Italian town.

He would create rather abstract paintings to inspire the artists/ craftsman who would create the pieces. Sometimes he was there when pieces where being created, sometimes not. Then the pieces were installed, he would supervise, but there was a team of laborers who would do the work.

The work was his idea, he was the source, but was surrounded by a team, a crowd of others. He was leading from the middle.

Beautiful.

I love to be surrounded by people who are all working together to create. Working at the top of their game.  Often, a passer by will comment that what is happening looks like chaos. "How does anything get done?" " aren't you worried?"....... As long as everybody is working with their eyes on the finished product, I'm never worried. I can walk over and suggest something. Maybe they'll take my suggestion. Great. More often then not, my suggestion will inspire them to think of a different way of solving the problem at hand.  I'll stand over here, in the middle, and watch everything come together.

Beautiful.

So, here is my new gig. It's a full time gig. I have been doing it for years, but now it has an official title. I am an Instigator....... I am a Creative Instigator.

Just this year, I have instigated a half a dozen songs, part of a film score,a play. Some of  my Instigatees ( yes, that's now a word) have starts to juggle, do magic tricks, take photos, ride bikes, paint.  Are they now all masters? Are the songs all hits? Are the plays award winners? No. Some are good. Some are great. Some are.....not. Doesn't matter. What does matter is that today there is a song that wasn't here yesterday. That might inspire a dozen songs yet to be written.

Beautiful

Here is my instigation for you. Give yourself a year from the day you read this. This time next year you have to be able to do something that you can't do today. That's all. Simple. I don't care what it is, just that it will be. (Hmmmm that's kinda zen like)

Start..........now.

No comments: