Wednesday, April 13, 2016

can I ask you a question?

I enjoy reading. Love to read , always have. I remember when I was a young punk I had a Scholastic Books biography of Martin Luther King. It was a short book aimed at young readers. It had a spectacular cover , white with a close up black and white photo of Dr King. (In profile, if I remember correctly. I vowed that I would read that book every single night.

Can't remember how many times I read it, but it was a bunch.

I read many of the books you should read when you are young and trying to make sense of the world, trying to figure out what's going on. On the Road, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance , ( as well as its spiritual father Zen and The Art of Archery)

Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse stayed with me a long time......

(Quick digression, Penny Lane just came on the radio, great song)

There is a wonderful concept that runs throughout the book- the difference between childlike and childish. The former being innocent and curious, inquisitive. The later being, well basically a snotty brat. I'm sure others will make he case for a more nuanced reading, but that's what I took away from the book. I think about that often.

When I work on shows, writing or directing (and the rare performance) I like to have an idea in mind, a basic goal. For the past few months that goal is "connect" or "connection"

Connect to the story you're telling. Connect to your fellow actors. Connect to the audience. A series of connections.

A simple idea, but not simplistic. Childlike, not childish. Simplicity can be demanding. To make the needed connections you need to be constantly aware. Ready to make needed adjustments. You need to be involved.

You need to pay attention .

Pay Attention.

I read an interview with Francis Ford Coppola, he was talking about directing, he said he spent the entire day answering questions. "Where should we put the camera?"  "Is this shirt the right color?" "Why would my character say this?"

Every question needs an answer. He is the one who has to provide the answer. Each and every answer needs to be connected. Moving towards the finished product. Each simple choice becomes part of  something much bigger.

Engineers have a phrase for a good clean solution. "Elegant" no muss, no fuss.

Childlike, simple, elegant.

Pay Attention.

No comments: