Thursday, April 14, 2011

two , two, two mints in one......

two separate thoughts

A) Had a lovely evening with my brother, sister and brother in law this evening. Saw Colin Hay, (he of Men at Work) in a solo acoustic show at the Boulton Center (Bay shore NY- a great venue, perfect for this kind of show)

Lot's of wonderful music, a mix of Men at Work Classics and his solo work I was really taken by what a wonderfully sophisticated song writer he is. It was great to hear the old stuff re imagined.(or maybe more accurately as originally imagined.) Who Can It Be Now, became a really dark and brooding song about a loon. Rather than a poppy, high spirited song about a loon.

God love him, he played a long time, a bit over two hours! Solo. To my mind could have been about 20 minutes shorter, but why quibble. As an extra added attraction he's a consummate storyteller with a stand up comedians timing.

one oddity , for the final three or for songs he brings out his wife, an attractive brunette who sings and...uh ...ur..... does some kind of odd interpretive dance during the songs. Hmmmmmmmm

But all in all a terrific show.

I had one of those "e tickets", you know, the ones you print out at home? Not a big fan. I like a TICKET! I remember the first time I used one of those about 5 years back,  seeing The WHO at the coliseum, I kept thinking, "No way, they're going to let us in with these...dittos" But they did.


------------
2) The continuing saga of the bodies the police are finding along Ocean Parkway. the road was closed again today.

The total body count is up around 11 or so now. eek!  Now here comes the kicker, the theory is that they are not all related! Right now, there might be three separate killers!

To make it even odder and creepier, they believe a few of the bodies might be victims of Long Islands previous serial killer, Joel Rifkin (he of Seinfeld fame)

So Ocean Parkway might very well be the serial killers body dump of choice. Damn.

Makes sense, cause if you have ever driven that road at night you know that is can be rather desolate and... spooky. I'm man enough to admit it, sometimes on that road I have scared my little self.

This also means that if those poor bodies have been there for years, than  over time ,tens of thousands of people have driven right by them. ewwww.

There is some talk of a few "persons of interest" Let's hope so.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

topic 1: That must have been a great performance. Something about his voice, very unique in my opinion. etix- not a fan. I still have every ticket stub from every concert I attended (except the Dead Milkmen at Stony Brook because they didn't issue tickets). It's nostalgic.

topic 2: Is it odd that I am not creeped out by driving Ocean Parkway? It is horrible that these individuals all met untimely and likely horrible deaths, but when I think of the area they we left... I don't know, I guess I find the area and that drive very peaceful. It's quite a dichotomy to have a life taken but then put in a spot so serene. Almost symbolic of peace of the afterlife.

Both topics: Now I have "It's a Mistake" playing in my noggin. Weird?

Jane said...

I remember seeing Men at Work here in Philadelphia over 20 years ago. Great show, it was. I agree on the e-ticket thing. My step son and my husband went to see Cake last weekend. When his son arrived at the house, he forgot his ticket and printed it up. It took some of the concert magic away from me. I was one of those old schoolers who waited in line for a day to snag my ticket :)