Tuesday, April 19, 2011

bloom into color.......

I know he can be a bit of a polarizing figure and he's not for everyone, but i am a big fan of Isaac Mizrahi.

I was flipping thru the channels without rhyme or reason last night and came upon Mizrahi on QVC . I figured I would watch a minute or two and ended up watching nearly an hour.  No, i didn't buy, anything.

He has such passion and enthusiasm for his work- often he is the biggest fan of his designs. It's as if he's seeing them for the first time.. He keeps the staff on their toes as he asks for them to run and get a bag to match the shoes or a skirt to go with the cardigan sweater he's showing. (also , I know this is a little thing, but he knows all the staff and the models by name and address them all the time. a nice touch)

I will leave it to the more fashionably aware among you to judge the actual clothes, I am engaged by his salesmanship and showmanship.

There was a documentary made about Him putting together a new collection back in '99. It starts as he finishes one collection and begins the next. I have watched this thing a dozen times (at least) It is a wonderful behind the scenes look at the creative process. Inspiration is one thing, talent is important ,but of course hard work is the most important.

What ever field of endeavor you are involved in , I think there are a ton of insights to be found watching the movie.

Is he a bit much? Maybe. But he works it.

ps the documentary is called "Unzipped"

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Though I am far from a fashionista, I have always liked him as well.