Thursday, April 7, 2011

put out a BOLO.......

I'm driving to rehearsal today on the parkway. They have those fancy light up message signs on the parkway. You know the ones, they tell you about what to expect up ahead traffic wise.

Today the message was, Ocean Parkway westbound is closed. For those of you who are not Long Island NY locales, this is a lovely road that runs right along the Atlantic Ocean. You are surrounded by water, the ocean on the south and a series of bays on the north. A beautiful drive.

That got me thinking about the many, many times I have been on that road, heading to see concerts and shows at the amphitheater- Oh..... a wonderfully romantic night watching the sunrise,...or going to Jones Beach with the family and........

Ah! Now I remember why the road is closed, they are looking for bodies in the dunes near Jones Beach. They found a few in December and just the other day three more. All woman, those who have been identified where working as prostitutes. Obviously, the police suspect a serial killer, but they are being very careful with the facts and accusations.

Horrifying.

I remember years ago, I was doing a show in New York City and I was commuting back and forth by train. A young woman had been murdered and her body had been put in a dumpster next to the train station. A quarter mile from my house- eek! One day as I was waiting for the train a Detective approached me and asked if he could show me a photo and ask a few questions. Sure. He showed me the picture, it wasn't pretty, you just saw her face, her body was covered with a sheet, but still not a pleasant sight. He asked me some routine questions, "did I see anyone suspicious?" . After a moment I started to ask him questions about the investigation. At times I can be a bit "tone deaf" and it took me a second to realize that he didn't appreciate my interest and he asked me a few more questions. A bit more pointed this time, basically I think just to shut me up.As far as I know they never solved this murder

The investigation into these murders of the girls found by the beach, has already been going on for months and I'm sure it will continue much longer. Half of the women haven't even been identified yet.

As I walked into the house tonight the Tv was on and an episode of Criminal Minds was playing. I used to watch that show, I was going to say I used to "enjoy" that show , but that's not a program you "enjoy" After I while I just got disgusted by the unending misery, I can't watch anymore.

 I had to shake my head and laugh (ruefully) On TV it only takes an hour to track down and arrest a serial killer. How come the local police aren't checking phone records, or finding out where that "burner" phone was bought or who , within a 50 mile radius, sells those tires that made that very unique tire print at the crime scene? Call the resident zany eccentric computer nerd, they should be able to narrow the list down to known offenders in minutes. Come on people! Basic Police work!

No comments: