Saturday, April 2, 2011

a theater near you......

I read an article today , the author was predicting that movie theaters might be on the endangered species list.

.......

oops, sorry, I think I fainted there for a minute. People have been making this statement for years-  since TV invaded living rooms. But nw with high ticket prices and large screen TV's and on demand video, who knows? Maybe this time it really happens.

.........

There used to be a theater in most every town. During the 80's and 90's a lot of those theaters became Blockbuster stores. The mid 80's brought the invasion of the multi plexes, 10. 12, 16 , screens. (or more) Now a lot of them have disappeared.

This ain't good.  I used to be a 3 or 4 movie a week guy, I would see everything. Excessive I know, but as far as I'm concerned that's the way to see a movie , big screen in a theater. I was never a big popcorn and snacks guy- I was there to see the movie.

I make my living, such as it is, in live theater, but I will now speak heresy- I have always been more of a movie guy than a theater guy. Given a choice , most often I would pick a movie.

One of the most amazing, life affirming nights of my life was way back in 80 (?, I'll check) When I saw , Abel Gance's Napoleon at  Radio City Music Hall. Silent Movie, Live Orchestra, 4 hours! Incredible.

I started writing this off the cuff, without really thinking about it too much- But I am a bit heartened by the fact that there are people looking at ways to keep theaters alive. Overall it seems to be a movement towards the old idea of Movie Palaces and making a night at the movies an event. I'm all for it.

One of these days, my situation in life will change and I'll be back in the theater (about halfway back on the center left aisle) Hopefully they'll be a theater and something good playing. Nothing in 3-D thanks.

oh, here's a bit of ominous news- in the past ten years, 80% of the record stores in the US have closed. yikes.

(hopefully this post will not appear as one big block)

No comments: