Thursday, September 2, 2010

there's a storm a brewin'........

Earl is approaching- losing steam along he way but here he comes. Hurricane Earl that is. Hurricanes have lost a bit of their allure now that they can have male names. They sound a bit more pedestrian somehow.

I am trying to figure out just how much preperation I have to do around the house- does all the patio furniture have to be brought in to the shed? If I bring everything in, is it worth it to put everything back out after the storm? In other words, does Earl mean the end of summer? Kinda early to bring stuff in but, maybe not.

Two Hurricane memories : Gloria ('85?) knowing that this was going to be a biggie I was a busy little bee bringing everything in and then battening down the hatches ("but I did batten them down! Well Batten 'em down again, we'll teach those hatches") Then lying down on the couch in the den and sleeping thru the whole storm. The next day I rode my bike around the Campus of Lasalle Military Academy- where the destruction was jaw dropping.

Betsy (63?) sitting in the car with my dad, in the garage, listening to the radio reports- no power in the neighborhood -I'm six years old experiencing my first Hurricane. A great apocalyptic , end of the world vibe. In my overactive imaginaion anyway

Oh, I just heard. Earl is now a Tropical Storm. Hmmmm do I really have to do all that work for a Tropical Storm?

No comments: