Monday, September 20, 2010

againandagainandagain.......

I just replaced the radio/cd player in my truck.

It had been stolen two years ago.

There is a wealth of information in those two sentences for those with a psychological bent.

Anyhow-While driving back and forth to rehearsals I divide my time between listening to the radio (mostly NPR, go ahead judge me) and selections from my cd library. An eclectic mix to say the least.

In among those cd's there are collections that I have owned in a variety of formats. Vinyl, Cassette, Cd, even a few in eight track. Stuff that I just always had to have handy.

Spike Jones' greatest Hits, The first two Santana Albums, Dan Hicks' Strikin' it Rich, Steely Dan Aja and a Bunch of Kid Creole . you get the idea.

I bet you have a bunch of records like that as well.

Here's one I listened to today- Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark. Now I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of hers (that semi yodel thing she does can be a bit trying) but I love that record. In particular I love the one two punch of , "Help Me" into "Free Man In Paris". During the 25 minute drive today I played those two about three times in a row.

Free Man in Paris is an amazing song to me because basically it asks us to empathize with a millionaire (David Geffen) who would prefer to be back in Paris rather than back at work at his record label. Poor Guy. But low and behold it works- I love the groove and the lyrics are spare, simple, economical , to the point. (not belabored like this sentence)

Want proof?

"I deal in Dreamers and telephone screamers"

Someday , maybe, I can write a line that good.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

it's amazing the power music can have over us. i love it