Friday, July 1, 2011

summer.........in the city

To celebrate my nieces recent high school graduation , we took a trip into the City (Pittsburgh,... no, New York) the other day.

A lovely summer day, Central Park Zoo (yay! Penguins!) The Met Museum (yay! Art!) dinner, (yay! Cuban food!)  and the revival of Anything Goes (yay! .... uh ...well...uh... Yay! Sutton Foster! that girl certainly commands the stage)

It was Hot and Humid. And if you have visited the Isle of Manhattan in the heat of summer ,you are familiar with that certain  ' funky stank' that permeates the air. Especially in the mid town area.

During the course of the day I saw at least a dozen 'hipsters' walking around wearing those goofy wool caps.Don't fashion slaves respect seasons?  I was mopping my brow all day like Pavarotti in a sauna and these nit wits were marching in lock step wearing the hottest hat known to man.

My nephew and I were watching some indie - hipster band on the telly the other night and the singer had a massive case of bed head. Now, I would respect that if he had actually just rolled out of bed to play the gig, but this guy had obviously spent an hour or so with a stylist to get his hair "just right"

Hey, hipster ! I will now bestow on you the most important  lesson I have learned:

Cool is the enemy.

(the attitude, not the temperature)

Oh ,one more thing- To all of those folks out there in big bad world who propose that the study of art(s) is silly and frivolous- let's go to the Met, I'll treat.

See how important art was to the Egyptians? The Greeks? The Romans?

Thousands of years before Christ, the world was filled with art(s).  Every moment of life , from birth to death, was celebrated by the artist.

sculpture, painting, jewelry, pottery. architecture.

When we come out of the museum, we can sit on the steps and talk about what we just saw. I'll tell you my favorite and you can tell me yours- I'll even treat you to a pretzel.

Then maybe we can go see the movie ' Cave of Forgotten Dreams" a documentary by Werner Herzog, about the earliest cave paintings ever discovered. Extraordinary! There is one particular painting of horses that might just be the single most beautiful art work I have ever seen.

If we go to the movies, we'll have to go dutch, I'm a little low on cash.

Just promise me you won't wear your wool cap

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I truly love this post! I don't have words to describe how it hit me...right in the art-heart!

and now I crave a warm pretzel.