Saturday, July 2, 2011

if i could talk to the animals.........

A week or two back I was called for jury duty. I have been called a number of times , but sadly have never sat on a jury! I would love to sit on a jury- I take geat pride in all those civic duty things, voting, jury, 'see something ,say something,'  recycling, don't pee in the pool.........

I have been Voir Dired three times  but alas no jury. (I tried thinking of a Voir Dire, double entendre quip, but couldn't. If you can think of one please feel free) . You never really know why you are turned down, but you can guess.  Judging by the cases and the questions asked, I was turned down once because my Mother worked at the IRS, once because my brother is a police officer, and this last time because our family owned two cockapoos. (dogs, not birds)

The case was a dog bite lawsuit and the canine in question was a cockapoo. Obviously the plaintifs attorney did not believe that I could be objective, given my previous cockapoo experience. I am purposefully using the word cockapoo as many times as possible to give you an idea of what Jury selection was like.

I should also point out that it took three full days to seat the jury. That's right,three days - a civil case. A dog bite. Three days.  The people who supervise the jury room were shocked it was taking so long.

The questioning by the defense lawyer was quick and to the point- very direct.  The plaintiffs lawyer was all over the place- essentially he was trying the case then and there. I always had the  feeling he was saying too much. We were getting a lot of information about the case haphazardly and people being people most of the prospective jurors were already forming opinions.

As I sat there watching the one fella stumble, I felt like standing up and giving him some tips on preparation and public speaking. It was painful.

I realize it's hard to see what's happening sometime in the heat of battle, but I hope he noticed how prepared the defense guy was. The little things can be so important- the defense guy always addressed the people he was questioning by name , "Mrs. so and so". The best the other attorney could do was address everyone he spoke to as , "you'.   A small point, but everybody likes to feel important and respected........three days!!!!!

Now that I think of it, when I was excused they were still looking for an alternate, so for all I know, they're still going.

---topic change ahead

So. I was at the Central Park Zoo this week. The last time I was there was a loooooooooong time ago. There is something thrilling about the idea that right there, smack dab in the middle of Manhattan are sea lions and penguins and a polar bear.

This is an old skool Zoo, so even though the place is well designed and tended, the animals are basically in cages. I am shocked that animal rights people don't protest outside the gates everyday. It would be easy to make the case that wild animals do not belong in cages in the middle of a city..........but- it's penguins! right there! on the other side of the glass! I see him and he sees me! "Hi Mr. Penguin!!!!!!

And did you see the sea lions? The jump up on the rocks and interact with the crowd. 100 yards over there is 5th avenue and right here are sea lions! real ones!

I know, I get it , it's not right, but it is extraordinary to see them so close and to see the reaction of the kids. Of course it is a bit heartbreaking  to see the polar bear neurotically swim back and forth in the same pattern all day long, but..............

--topic change (kinda)

Later that same day as we walked around mid town Manhattan we passed Gallaghers steak house, a restaurant that famously has steaks hanging in the window as they dry age. Often there is a crowd of people gathered at the window gazing at the steaks lovingly.

In general, I'm not a big meat eater, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a steak, - but there is something about those steaks hanging in the window that make me want to become whatever is more extreme than Vegan. I want to become an Aquan, I'll just drink water from now on and maybe a few Saltine crackers.

No comments: