Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Time marches on.....

I am not a Luddite (nor am I a Ludden) , but as far as technology goes I am not a first responder either. I'll get to it eventually.

I eventually got a cell phone ,about seven years ago. I still have the same phone. I can make and receive calls. I can send text messages (I just discovered that a while back). I can play a game called , Snakes. That's enough for me.

I have an I Pod. - it was a gift. I think it's a first or second generation. When I bring it somewhere, the mean children mock me. When I first got it I downloaded a ton of my cd's on to it. They're all still on there. I don't think I have any I tunes songs on there. (I do have I Tune songs on my computer)

I have a Dell laptop- bought it about six years ago. Works fine, still have it. Still don't know how to do the things most young kids can do.

I was one of the first to have a VCR and Camera set up. (It was a Gift) It was portable. Oh, the mean kids would mock me if they saw it, I still have it somewhere. A camera connected by a wire, to a recorder that you carried by a shoulder strap ,that would connect to a charger that you kept at home. When fully charged the battery had about 30 minutes of power before it would shut down. Portable. I loved it, I remember one of the first times I took it out in public, we went to a Fair at Mac Arthur Airport, crowds gathered to look at the thing, not many people had ever seen one.

One of the first to have a DVD player- first DVD, Citizen Kane. I will say here and now I draw a line in the sand, No Blu Ray, player for me. I can't go thru the expense of building up a library again.

Today as a gift I received a Kindle. I had been thinking about it for a while, going back and forth, but today I was pushed into the new Frontier. I'm sure I'll love it, but I am such a book whore that I am sure i will continue to surround myself, both physically and metaphorically with the printed word.

I will say this about the Kindle, with the flip of a switch you can change the font size , which is a boon to these aging eyes.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Technology escapes me, yet I'm the one at work that people ask to fix their computer or unjam the photocopier before the call the IT person. I find this odd. This past year I actually upgraded my phone to a blackberry...but that was only because my last phone died and everyone else hip to technology moved on to the iphone and/or droid. I can't allow myself to be too hip, ya know? I'm going for that "so un-hip I loop back around to hip" path. Not sure if it's working. I'll send you a smoke signal and let you know. (incidentally, I have the movie Smoke Signals on DVD...somewhere.)