Saturday, February 19, 2011

i'd like to speak to the manager, please.....

God bless us, we love to think we are in control- that we can handle most anything that comes our way.

Every once in a while we get a little reminder, a tap on the shoulder, a wink that says- think again.

A tap- Now that the weather has been a bit more moderate this past week, a huge amount of the snow that has been hanging around since Christmas has melted. Hey! I can see my front lawn. As I drove to rehearsal at a local school the other day, upon entering the parking lot I was greeted by two enormous potholes and huge chunks of pavement that were just, mangled. Just Mother Nature reminding us, who's in charge.

A wink- I have always been fascinated by dreams. Our conscious mind takes a rest and suddenly it's party time. Let down your guard to sleep for a bit and, well, something takes over the asylum. The other night , my brother Pat and my Dad and me and Jack Webb(yeah, from Dragnet) flew to Japan. Pat and Dad were in first class and Jack and I flew coach. The accommodations were lovely though , our seats became beds and we could stretch out quite comfortably.

Oh, I forgot my cat was on the flight also, just kinda wandering around.

Upon arrival we went to a Supermarket, that was well stocked from floor to ceiling with brightly packaged food stuffs. BUT, there was a strike and we couldn't do any shopping.

That's it.....what the heck was that all about? I'll leave up to you dream types to figger it out. I just think it's a bit of the natural /unseen world having a little fun and playing around with the toys in our heads.

Years ago I had bought a dream dictionary- it was during a long run of a childrens show and we would take turns "interpreting" each others dreams. lot's of laughs, few insights.

Tonight in Dreamland , I'm sure the cat and I will be exploring potholes.


ps the supermarket in my dream was inspired by a photograph I saw at MOMA a few years back-- 99 cents by Andreas Gursky. If I find a copy, I'll post it.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Jungian dreamwork, my friend. It's a great way to uncover what the noggin is presenting. As a therapist, I take every opportunity (which isn't too many) to use this technique. It can be an amazing tool in therapy.

bumby said...

Herr Doctor Jung and I are old friends. My Dad was a psychologist and I grew up in a house filled with journals and books and stuff. Amazingly A therapist i worked with came to the conclusion that I was an "amazing tool" His words. we parted company soon after