Sunday, November 14, 2010

alee,epee,orr,ott

Like many in my family I am a man of obsessions.

If I am interested in something, I'll dive right into the deep end.

And as I thrash and dog paddle to stay afloat , I will construct/deconstruct a reason(s) why what I am obsessed with is fascinating.

A new passion- crossword puzzles. Over the years I would pick up a paper and do a few words while waiting for the chinese food. Way back when a paramour and I would sit and do the Sunday Times crossword. My relationship with puzzles was fleeting and haphazard, like most of my relationships. (oh, snap!)

In the past year I have climbed the high board and cannonballed into the pool. At first I became intrigued because of the claim that puzzling could help ward off Dementia and his pal Alzheimer. Of course "the experts" will now tell you that keeping the brain active, while admirable, has no effect on D and A. This week we are told that MEGA Doses of vitamin B might help. Next month . place a piece of raw calf's liver in your left shoe.

So I started puzzles, bought a book, bought two or three more. During the week I get the Post, the Daily News and the Times, that's 4 puzzles a day! (well actually 5- the Post has a quick crossword and The Times of London crossword, which I can't figure out)

Hey! you know what? The National Enquirer has two good puzzles every week. I can hear you snickering and shaking your head in judgement, but the puzzles are good and I can keep up on Brangelina.

(Good Puzzle, a definition- One that I can finish, or come close, and that presents some challenge)

My favorite is the puzzle in New York Magazine- I can finish it! There is a nice combo of Easy stuff and What the....? And best and most important, It's Funny. Lots of wit in the clues and I can even forgive them for some grown inducing puns.

Most days I'll have a couple of puzzles going at a time. (BIC ballpoint pen, black ink)

There is one constant in all of my obsessions ,I adore the process- the long ,strange trip that gets you to the end. The first look at the puzzle can be daunting, but step by step, clue by clue, you get there. For a few minutes you can get stuck and then one answer leads to eight more.

I told my pal Melissa that I like blogs that deal in Minutia. Doesn't get much more minute than this .

ps A few times I did a puzzle and for a change of pace wrote with my left hand- after 20 minutes or so my brain ached. That was not a metaphor ,my head hurt.

pps off Topic, I watched a few episodes of the reality series CIRCUS on PBS. God I hate all those people. Hate might be a strong word....loathe, I loathe them

No comments: