Wednesday, October 20, 2010

mise eh ree

Way back in college I studied film theory and became enamored with the concept of mise en scene. French, you know. (those french are very particular in regards to language, they have a word or a phrase for just about everything. )

The exact meaning of this phrase is debated by movie types (cinephiles) , which just makes it better, but basically it is the visual element of a film or stage production. The decor, lighting, costumes, composition of the frame,...well you get the idea. How the visuals reinforce the overall story telling. A well composed scene often can tell you more than words- Citizen Kane- Joe Cotten asleep hunched over his typewriter (bottle nearby) in he foreground and Welles waaaaay in the background looming in the doorway.

Mise en scene is a part of the stage as well. I always think of the stage as a blank page and whatever is up there is there because "we" put it there. WE in this case being The creative staff- director, set design, light design, costumes etc. Since the world that is created on stage is totally artificial we can manipulate it so that everything an audience sees helps to tell the story. Hopefully.

This is maybe my favorite part of the rehearsal process creating the world that the audience is going to experience. Sometimes it works , sometimes not, but it always fun to try.

There is another mise that I have had less success with- mise en place. A cooking term, basically having everything ready to go, being in control of your workspace. Economy, precision, planning.

ah.

The other morning I discovered I had a half loaf of Challah bread in the old breadbox (holler!) Of course my mind turns to French Toast. Hmmm I have the bread, Do I have eggs? Check. Milk? Plenty. Vanilla? Yes. I even have some nice grapes to serve on the side and Hey! look at this- some real Maple syrup I bought at the Big E (state fair) a few weeks ago. Serendipity.

So I get to work and whip up some lovely French Toast, It was quite delicious, if I do say so myself. There is a lot to be said for a fancy breakfast in the middle of the week. I'm usually a toast and chocolate milk kinda guy.

Let me collect these plates and bring them into the kitchen and.......Dear God in heaven! What the hell has happened in here? Egg carton, egg shells, milk carton, spoons, knives, forks- every flat surface in the kitchen is covered in something. Lids are off containers, there is a small puddle of syrup near the stove. Don't ask me why, but the Bleu cheese dressing is on the counter.

It is more than apparent that my mise en place is non existent. In my own defense I will say, I decided to make the french toast on the spur of the moment ,no time to prepare. Lame. It took me three times as long to clean up the mess as it did to cook and eat the meal.

I need to embrace mise place as tightly as I do mise scene.

I'm sure the French have a phrase for he type of cook I am.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

this post makes me miss performing and dishwashers.