Tuesday, October 5, 2010

...and master of none

For the past few years I have kept a sketch pad and some pencils in the car . When I found myself with 20 minutes or so between gigs I would park the car, pick out a subject and draw.

Because of this, the majority of the subjects in the book are "things you find in a parking lot" Lots of lamp posts and over turned shopping carts. There are nice parking lots though, leading to sailboats and seagulls and ....lamp posts.

Am I good? no. Do I enjoy it? yes.

I am amazed that in the few years that I have been sketching that my "line" has not matured. I'm sure there is a technical term for this but, most of my drawings appear to be drawn by a kid. A kid who is trying his best, but a kid nonetheless.

There are a few exceptions: I did a drawing of a shoe that still amazes me. I can't believe that I did it. It's really....dare I say....good. Really looks like that particular shoe.

I have a picture I drew of a ....lamppost , that is really impressive (to me) with a bold dark line. Much like the shoe drawing I enjoy it because it is specific, it's that lamppost.

oh another favorite, I was at a bookstore and there was a girl across the cafe leaning over a table looking at a newspaper. I grabbed my pencil and with just a few lines really captured the curve of that view.

These are three I like, there are hundreds, but I like these three. Pretty good odds.

I haven't sketched in a while (I haven't done anything in a while, but that's another story) but, I think I'll get back to it. There is a series in the New York Times now about drawing that has nudged me in the direction of putting pencil to paper again.

If you ever need inspiration (for any creative endeavor) check out the drawings of George Seurat. I have been going to Museums and galleries for over 30 years and I'll tell you that without a doubt these drawings are my favorite pieces of art. I saw them first about 20 years ago a the Met and a few years back at MOMA. so simple but, astonishing.

Okay go get a pencil, a piece of paper and a shoe.

No comments: