Monday, August 30, 2010

a nearsighted Chilean Caveman

If I had been born a caveman , I wouldn't have lasted very long- cave baby, yes- cave toddler,probably- but after that I would have been doomed. As soon as I left the protection of the cave on my own I would have quickly become a memory. Nothing but a cave painting- soon to be forgotten.

Nearsighted , you see. Been wearing glasses since first grade. Something tells me my myopic brethren didn't last too long in Bedrock. Crushed by an Brontosaurus, swept off by a Pterodactyl, wandered into a tar pit.

I thought about this the other day as I read about the Chilean miners who have been trapped for weeks and probably will be for months to come. What a remarkable story, these guys are amazing. I hope when they are rescued that Chile just says "Welcome home guys! Here are the keys to your new homes and cars. If you need anything call us, don't worry you are set for the rest of your life"

Oh how does that relate to the nearsighted caveman? In one of the articles I was reading it said that because of the size of the rescue hole the miners would have to have a waist size of 36 inches or under to be brought up. As of right now there were a few who were larger than 36 inches. (I'm sure this will be solved but, could you imagine being rescued knowing that some of your fellow miners had to stay behind?)

my waist is certainly not 36 inches (although I too some comfort in discovering that the average american males waist is 40 inches- fat bastids) so my fate as a chubby chilean miner would be the same as my fate as a nearsighted cave man---doomed

No comments: