Monday, August 23, 2010

anything at all....but not that.

In the previous post I wrote about how our open minded Art teacher would encourage us to bring is albums to listen to during class- this reminded me of another teacher, a music teacher, who asked us kiddies to bring in some music we liked to share with the class.

The year was 1967, so I'm 10 years old, in 4th grade (?) and I take my teachers request very seriously- As a matter of fact I will bring in two songs that I love to share with my peers.

The teacher was Mrs.Fontana, Isabella Fontana, barely five feet tall, but a force of nature. An entire web site could be devoted to students memories of this one of a kind gal. In an odd connection to the previous post and to the book ALL HOPPED UP....., she was Neil Sedaka's music teacher in high school (maybe jr. high)

So the day arrives and I have my two albums with me- Wild Honey by the Beach Boys (the first album I ever bought for myself) and Hank Williams Greatest Hits ( one of my Dads albums)
WE go to Music, Mrs. Fontana asks "Did anyone bring in some music?" Boom! My hand is in the air. I hand her the album, she removes the record, being very careful to handle it by the edges (vinyl ,you know) and places it on the Hi- Fi

Wild Honey begins. This is Rn'B Beach Boys style. The theremin is doing that swooping octave thing at the start, then the band kicks in and.......she stops the record and takes it off the turntable , all the while berating the "noise" that I was subjecting the other kids to.

Oh..... "I have another record, no, not by the same group. It's by Hank Williams." Not a glimmer of recognition from Isabella, she has no idea who Hank Williams is. I already know Hank and I are doomed.

The album is removed respectfully, placed on the turntable and the greatest singer/songwriter in the history of country music begins to sing....

"Hey Good Loo....." That's as far as he got. This time no lecture from Mrs. Fontana, just a shake of the head and a withering look. Wow...dissed and dismissed.

Within five minutes she had made mincemeat of Hank Williams, Brian Wilson and Me.

When I got home I played "Wild Honey"..........loud

No comments: