Thursday, April 8, 2010

your Mothers mustache

Doing some reading , listening, thinking about art and culture these past few nights (who am I kidding ,these past few decades)

In particular early '70's rock and roll. I know this is a boring middle aged guy thing looking back with fondness on the music of your long gone youth. but the shoe fits and I'll wear it out of the store thank you.

here are two or three random observations:

listening to Joe Cocker and the Mad Dogs and Englishmen band performing 'the Letter"- to me that is what a rock and roll band sounds like or should anyway. And I love that the stage was packed with like 50 band members and crew members and random hangers on. Still to this day absolutely stunning. Also it's interesting to see that Joe's career at the time was based on covers of songs that were hits for other people (Beatles, Box Tops, Lovin' Spoonful) Could you do that today?

A picture of Frank Zappa (not any one picture in particular) guitar in hand, long stringy hair, and that signature mustache -soul patch- jazz cat -facial hair thing. To me at the time,that was what rock and roll looked like. Eccentric, challenging, slightly threatening.

The opening track on "cheap thrills' by Big Brother and the Holding Company (oh yeah they had a chick singer...what was her name?) "Combination Of The Two" For a few seconds all you hear is the crowd at the Fillmore , the band tuning up a bit, Then Bill Grahams voice as he introduced the band "Four Gentleman and one great, great broad- Big Brother and the Holding Company" then the song starts. I was about 11 or 12 at the time and Oh yes I was rocked, my brain was fried a tad, my world shifted just a bit. I will never forget the sound of that room, on all the live albums that were recorded at the Fillmore there was a ring in that auditorium that was like another member of the band.

okay, enuff reverie- I'm old I have to go to sleep

No comments: