Friday, May 20, 2016

.....for arts sake

A good friend of mine (as well as a theatrical co- conspirator) runs an art gallery on a picturesque little Main Street. Tonight they had a reception to celebrate their 5th anniversary, that's right I am a hipster by association. A lovely event.

Recently we worked together on a production of Mary Poppins. She designed the costumes and props for the show. She reached out to one of her fellow artists to create the iconic parrot head handle for Mary's umbrella. It was gorgeous..

Tonight I met the artist who created the piece, delightful. As we spoke I asked her to show me some of her work in the gallery. The pieces she had in the gallery were ceramics, small bowls and mugs as well as a few abstract sculptures.

The craftsmanship was beautiful with great attention to detail. As usual I started asking questions about the process, she pointed out details that I didn't even notice at first glance. It was fascinating.

How long does it take to create something like this? " the basic shape, about a minute. Well 15 years learning the craft and a minute" she answered.

A lesson to be learned for all artists

No comments: