Monday, January 2, 2012

a spectacle.........

I have a new pair of glasses.

For the past few years my frames were a gold metallic, Ben Franklin looking arrangement.

Before that I had a round tortoise shell frame- kinda like Phillip Johnson, the architect, used to wear. Those were my favorite but difficult to find.

Now I'm wearing the au courant, hipster modified Buddy Holly look. So far, so good.

I am now going thru that early phase of new prescription wearing- I constantly feel like I'm walking down an incline, in a few days that should pass. This is also the first time I have bi focals, or as they are now known progressive lenses. Another learning curve- look up to drive, straight ahead for the computer, down to read.

I have been wearing glasses since the first grade. nearsighted. Never had any interest in contacts- touching the eye gives me the heebie- jeebies. Laser surgery? Hmmmmm. I don't know, most people have good luck with it. I think my biggest hesitation with the laser is the anecdote my sister told after her surgery, about the smell of her eye burning. Oh boy. ( i know, I'm a baby- I wanted to say say sissy, but that's not done these days)

The woman who helped me choose my frames was excellent- it's always a pleasure to have someone thoughtful and knowledgeable and funny in customer service. I do have one quibble after we choose the frame , I handed her my prescription and her reaction was  "WOW"- 

Believe me I know- my eyes, not so good. I don't need to be reminded by my eyewear provider.

It did reinforce one fact I have known for a long time- If I had been born a caveman, I never would have made it to puberty.

ps on an entirely different subject- if you want to see the greatest book cover of the past 10 years, track down "Mississippi Sissy" by Kevin Sessums

No comments: