Tuesday, March 8, 2011

kindling.....

A few posts back I bloggeled that I had been gifted with a Kindle, the miracle text reading device of the age. I have now read a couple, two three books on the Kin (my affectionate nick name for said device) and now I feel ready to pontificate.

The Kindle I was given was a wi-fi only device, some of them also have a 3g capability. Wow, looking at that previous sentence you would almost think I knew what the hell I was talking about. So I had to go and get a wi-fi router device, I know! I didn't already have one, imagine my shame. Go on, imagine.

Got it, installed it, downloaded two books. Okay , first things first, I picked the book I wanted (that girl with the tattoo thing) pushed the "buy" button and at that very same second, the book was downloaded. Incredible.

I go and get a glass of chocolate milk and a cookie , sit down and start to read. The Kindle itself is light and fits quite comfortably in my hand. The page turn buttons are in a good ergonomic spot, I will say that after a while the keyboard along the bottom of the device gets in the way, but that's a petty complaint from a petty guy.

The reading screen is amazing, the text pops off the screen and since it's not back lit , it's easy on the eyes. Not like staring at this damnable computer screen! For this old coot, the best thing is that with a touch of a button you can adjust the type size. Very handy for these old eyes.

The turning of pages is very smooth as well, just a simple push of a button. My sister Meg has a cool reader, I think it's a Sony, where you turn the page by sliding your finger across the screen. neat.

another nice feature is that when you turn it off and come back later it brings you right to the page where you left off.

Among all the books they sell you on the Amazon, there are also a bunch of free books. yay, free! Right Now, I'm reading The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington. A great book by an almost forgotten author. (also the source for one of the all time great Movies, called..... The Magnificent Ambersons)

I take great Ironic pride reading this on my newfangled reading thingy because one of the themes is how new technology and ideas replace the old- in particular how the Auto replaces the Horse. How silly are those who stand in the way of progress.

Find it! Read It! Great Book! (hint- it's free at the kindle store)

I was also thrilled to find in the free section a large selection of books by Stephen Leacock. I can hear you all saying "WHO?" He was a great Canadian Writer, mostly of humor pieces. I discovered him as a kid and fell head over heels in love with his stuff. Beautifully written, laugh out loud funny and although some of them are 90 years old, they read totally modern. To me he deserves a spot among the best ,Robert Benchley, Dorothy Parker (that's for you Diana) and the greatest of them all S J Perelman. (don't say "WHO?" just go find his stuff and read it)

To get a good idea about Leacock read one of these two short pieces , My Financial Career or The Great Detective.

Oh, dear god, what's wrong with me? James Thurber! How can I forget him? His book, My Life and Hard Times is my favorite book of short stories and,The Day The Dam Broke, might very well be the funniest story of all time. (my, that's a bold contention)

Okay, so the Kindle is very enjoyable........

That said, it ain't a book. Oh and I do adore books. Since setting up the kindle I have been to three different bookstores and walked out with an armful of books each time. There is nothing like getting lost in a good bookstore for an hour or two (Book Revue, I'm talking to you) The size the shape. The artwork, the smell....... heaven,

I'm one of those guys who when I read I know exactly where on the page a line is, so that when I think of a passage later, I can "see" it. I'm also that giy who goes back a few pages every once in a while to remember who did what to who. (which you can do on the kindle, but not as easily)

I could go on and on, but I will leave it at this- I can happily live in a world where books and the Kindle can co exist. Since bookstores are closing left and right ,My happiness my be short lived , but we'll see.

A final thought (as always I exaggerate, slightly, for effect,) the two most beautiful and elegant devices ever made by man are....... The Book and The Bicycle


you know what, NO exaggeration at all----- The Book and The Bike!

No comments: