Thursday, March 10, 2011

I too am a magnificent amberson.......

A random thought

I remember when The Virgin Megastore opened in Times Square. An Oasis, a great place to while away an hour between a show and the train.

A massive record store, Video store, book store, movie theater and travel agency-all in one place, under one roof. It was as if someone had invaded my dreams and built my retail nirvana.

I think over the years, the travel agency was the only place I didn't do business with.

I love that kind of shopping- wandering around and exploring. A song. leads to a cd, which leads to a movie which leads to a book and back again.

The brave new world of computers and the Interweb has more or less put all of those types of establishments on the brink. Bye bye record stores, Adios video, see ya book stores. No more cinemas, and travel agents? say hello to Priceline.

And the Virginmega store relegated to the dustbin of memory.

Yeah, I know I'm an old coot- a luddite. "You can search the web right from your computer, the whole world is at your fingertips" t'aint the same.

Of course I used to moan about cds- shopping for vinyl was much more enjoyable, the way an album cover would fit right on your forearm.

ah well, I'm gonna check and see if there's room next to Andy Rooney on that park bench.

No comments: