Sunday, March 1, 2009

Old Chums

When i was a kid (10, 11, 12) I adored The Hardy Boy Books. All the boys in my neighborhood were fans so we would trade them back and forth. Mystery, Intrigue! and it all took place in Bayport! I lived right near Bayport! Of course my Bayport was real and Frank and Joe's was Fiction but that didn't stop me from imagining that all this derring do was happening a short bike ride away.

When I was 12 we spent the summer in the Catskills and one Sunday after Church we came upon a yard sale where they were selling 10 or so Hardy Boy books. I was set for the whole summer.

They had the checklist in the back of the book- How Many of these have you read? I took great delight in checking all the titles that I owned or read. But there was one title I could never find;The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook. I looked forever and could never find it....until about three years ago when I found four copies in a Barnes and noble . I bought them all. I gave two away as gifts but i kept the others- it gives me something to fall back on-maybe one day I'll be a great Detective like my chums.the Hardy Boys.

Of course what was the single greatest thing about all Hardy Boys Books? Why the last page or two of course ,when they were wrapping up the story and telling you that if you thought this tale was exciting wait til you read the next one! We're almost embarassed that we even wasted your time with this one because the next one........!!!!!!

No comments: