Thursday, April 12, 2012

a slave to fashion......

I was in New York City the other day ( ..just like I pictured it/ sky scrapers and everything)

It was a lovely spring day and I was feeling cavalier,so i get all duded up- I "handlebarred" my mustache and combed out my beard. Put in  a gold hoop earring ( I'm more of a demure silver earring guy) , an electric blue shirt with a black sport coat/ complete with a Buddy Holly button on the lapel. I had been gifted with a lovely silk bandanna  a while back , so I tied that around my neck and put on my saddle shoes and Viola! off I went.

During the day I found myself sitting on a bench reading the paper,  a family was sitting next to me. The son (about 7) turned to me and said "I like your look".

My look. Most days I pull on jeans , sneakers and a tee shirt, but that day I had a look.

I was reminded of a show I did for many years on stage- The Dr. Gesundheit Show. I was Dr G. It was a fun/silly show for kids and adults kinda in the style of Pee Wee Herman.

One of the characters was my housekeeper ; Concetta (later renamed Connie. more PC you know) Concetta was played by my dear friend and brilliant actress Candi.   She would tease her hair high up on her head, wear over sized earrings, 20 brightly colored bracelets,  a chunky necklace or two.  Her clothes were a neon colored explosion complete with a tutu style skirt. Platform shoes. Kabuki like make up.  Total excess. Total genius.

After each performance we would do a meet and greet with the audience. Every time , all the young girls (ages 3 to 10) would line up to meet Concetta/Connie/Candi and every girl .... every single girl !... would tell her how beautiful she was. No Irony. no snark, they all thought she was absolutely beautiful.

they liked her look

No comments: