Monday, November 28, 2011

da liberry......

I have been catching up on a lot of reading these past few weeks. When Borders as closing down the stores near me were having a ton of sales- One store had all books a dollar each, another did a buy 20 books for 10 dollars deal. Needles to say I took advantage of these deals.

I've also been doing a lot of kindling as well, probably about 60/40  hard copy to kindle. I was on the road for a week and I will admit that the kindle did come in handy- I usually would bring about 4 or 5 books along on a trip, now just my lil' e-pal.

I heard an interview with photographer Annie Liebowitz the other day, she's promoting a new book of photos, and she was saying that all the photos in the book were taken digitally.She made the point that she didn't have a romantic notion that film is superior to digital- Content was the most important thing, not how you created it.

Good point.......I guess.

Here's two things that keep me connected (romantically) to books;

I'm just about finished reading a book about the history of Jewish Delis- a very enjoyable look at food and culture and history and pastrami- As I read it I have about a dozen people that I would like to share the book with, as in walk up to them and say "You have to check this out" and then hand them the book. "Oh! check out the story about kasha varnishka on page 128."

I'm sure that e reader sharing is on the horizon (if not already here) , but I'll admit it I am attached to the object.

As far as I am concerned , since the dawn of time there are two perfect , elegant inventions- books and bicycles. Some day , I'll go into greater detail about that thesis.

Here's another romantic book notion;

As a  fund raiser for a theater group I work with, A friend of mine has started selling used books, what started out as a shelf or two of volumes has turned into a very impressive collection. She sells them during the intermission, you can get a coffee, a snicker candy bar, and a Tom Clancy novel.

Every once in a while she'll bring me a book that someone has donated and say that it's a book that I have to have. The other day she gave me a paperback copy of The Merry Adventures Of Robin Hood. It's a pocket sized book in immaculate condition, it was published in 1949 by the Board of Education of the City of New York and given to students as a gift.

A Beautiful book with illustrations by a student, complete with that "old book" smell. Heaven.

There is a wonderful introduction written by Regina Burke, associate superintendent of elementary schools. Here's a bit of it,

"Are you fortunate enough to have a library of enjoyable books in your home? It isn't necessary to possess hundreds of books to set up "a library" Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Franklin began theirs with just one book. This book is all yours. I hope you will add it to your home library, or use The Merry Adventures Of Robin Hood to begin one"

Thanks Miss Burke

No comments: