Monday, August 22, 2011

proof of heaven.........

I got in the truck and headed North this week- I'll write a bit about my travels during the next few days.

I had only the skimpiest of plans, there is a band I am quite enamored of, Sirsy, and I saw that they were playing in Lake George, a destination I am equally enamored of. Together, irresistible.

I arrived in Lake George and looked for a place to stay for the next few nights. I love motels- In particular I love motels where you park right in front of your door. I drove thru the village headed a bit north an there it was - The Blue Moon Motel, neon sign and everything! Be still my beating heart.

I went into the office to check in and for the next five minutes I was totally charmed , nay, I was beguiled. Sitting there at the desk was a dark haired young lady who greeted me with a big smile and a near musical "Hello!"

What a rarity! At times I feel that we live in the Age of the Sullen. Everyone if far too hip or too engaged in something social networky to actually engage with a fellow human being. But not this girl, she was totally engaged the second I walked in the door.

Delightful Smile. Eye Contact. And, and, and, and...... an accent.......a Polish accent! I will  state here and now  ,before God and country and all those who dip their toes in my blog that I find Polish, Ukraine, Eastern European women to be  the cat's meow.  There is something in the lilt of that accent that I adore.

(full disclosure, I also have a soft spot for women with slight speech impediments. I'm sure there is a support group for that. If I ever met a polish girl with a lisp, I would propose on the spot)

She was absolutely charming- isn't that a lost gift, charm?  She filled out the registration form all the while telling me about all the amenities the motel provided, including free coffee and tea , and on the weekends-- free donuts! And she was so sincere about the donuts, I immediately agreed out loud how wonderful that was. I could even get a large towel if I wanted to use the pool , that was open from 8 am until 9 am.

She was exacting and precise in every step of the registration process , telling me exactly what she was doing while she did it.  No Irony, no snark, just sincere. .

Registration all done, she walked me to my room, opened the door and asked me if it was acceptable. It was. She gave me the key and began to walk to the office.

I had noticed that to use the Wi- Fi service you had to have a code word.  I called after her "excuse me, What is the code for the Wi Fi?"

" It's easy to remember" she said " It's No Wacancy"

That's not a typo- It's how she pronounced No Vacancy.

charming.

And No, I never got her name.

No comments: