Saturday, April 25, 2009

found poetry

A few years back my nephew John went to Japan. As he regaled us with stories of his adventure two words got stuck in my head, they became a phrase- Japanese Toothbrush. I loved the sound of those words together. I wrote a song called- Japanese Toothbrush. In it I appropriated.....curated......borrowed....stole lines from other songs and strung them together with some random thoughts that were wandering around my head.

JAPANESE TOOTHBRUSH

I tossed and I turned
I didn't sleep at all last night

the sun was shining
but there was no light

I have a thousand questions
I need an answer or two

I met a thousand women
they all looked like you

I'm Packin' up my Japanese toothbrush
The one I bought back in Tokyo
Walking like a giant in a land of strangers
I'll stick around until it's time to go

Took one step forward
another two back

Tied myself to the rail road track

I drowned in the shallow water
the waves washed over me

each time I look in the mirror
who am i supposed to be

-------
All set to a punky -Irishy- Black 47- groove (another bit of larceny, but it works)

Don't ask me but i think it's about mortality.


----
My friend Leia left a message on my phone the other day- little did she know she gave me my new two word obssession- Ukelele Hostage

I love those two words together!

No comments: